Tuesday, November 10, 2009

spring semester


I registered for spring semester today. Most of it turned out how I had originally planned. The only class that is different is that I am taking Logic and Language, a philosophy course, for my math credit instead of The History of American Transcendentalism. A little different, but I'm going to get math out of the way, so... woohoo! The course description reads: This course presents an account of deductive inference in natural language. The logical relations of mutual consistency and equivalence are defined for sentences of English, as is the notion of a valid deductive argument expressed by sentences of English. Theoretical and technical devices are introduced both from standard symbolic logic and from generative grammar, with a focus on grammatical structures that determine logical force. Also considered are philosophical issues about language, mind, meaning, and truth. Readings introduce such important figures in 20th-century thought as Gottlob Frege, W.V.O. Quine, Paul Grice, and Noam Chomsky.

So, hopefully good. Formal logic, language and reading as opposed to math. I will take almost anything over numbers. :D This way I can save the dinero I would have spent on a summer math class for studying abroad next year. It should be a good (and challenging) semester.

No comments: